The other day, I was home alone and watching Nigella Lawson’s tv show while having dinner. I like Nigella and her way of cooking – which is very casual and focused on the pleasure of eating – and despite the fact that she almost never cooks vegan food, I can really get inspired by some of her recipes. That evening, she was preparing an express menu, and a recipe for scrambled eggs was on the list. What I found interesting about Nigella’s dead easy scrambled eggs, was that she added fried tortillas to it. I immediately thought about doing the same next time I’d be making scrambled tofu, as fried tortillas would definitely add some crispiness to the dish as well as an interesting, hearty, flavor.
Now, I feel a bit dumb giving you a recipe for scrambled tofu, as every vegetarian/vegan out there seem to have their own recipe for it. My version, although being tasty and highly seasoned, isn’t particularly different from a thousand others, except for the addition of tortillas. Everybody seems to like it, both vegans and meat-eaters, and I think it’s specially good served on toasted whole-grain bread (seriously, how many times have I said on these blog that certain foods go well with toasted bread?). ; )
Wish you all a great and relaxed weekend! (Mine, on the other hand, will be particularly busy, with tons of school projects to work on..)
Scrambled Tofu with Fried Tortillas
- 400 grams firm tofu, pat dry and crumbled
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large tortilla, cut into thin strips
- one large tomato, peeled, seeded and cubbed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the tortilla strips. Fry for 3 to 4 minutes, or until golden brown. Set the fried tortilla aside but don’t turn off the heat yet.
- In the same pan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the onion, ground cumin, paprika and dried thyme, and cook for 5 minutes, or until fragrant. Now, add the chopped tomato and cook for additional 2 minutes.
- Add the tofu to the pan, as well as the turmeric and salt, and mix well to incorporate. Cook for 5 minutes, or until the tofu has warmed through.
- Turn off the heat and add the lemon juice and tortilla strips to the pan, mixing well to combine. Serve immediately.